Is Your Cat an Old Soul? Olga’s Calm Nature

The post Is Your Cat an Old Soul? Olga’s Calm Nature by Christopher Bays appeared first on Catster. Copying over entire articles infringes on copyright laws. You may not be aware of it, but all of these articles were assigned, contracted and paid for, so they aren't considered public domain. However, we appreciate that you like the article and would love it if you continued sharing just the first paragraph of an article, then linking out to the rest of the piece on Catster.com.

Hi, I’m Christopher! Read my introduction to learn more about me and my silly Russian Blue cat, Olga.

Most kittens are wild and energetic, but they grow up fast, and some reach maturity much faster than others. Olga wasn’t incredibly affectionate as a kitten, but she liked to play and got irritated if I ignored her; even loners need attention. I didn’t consider her an “old soul” until she entered adulthood and became more independent. She still looks like a young cat but seems wiser than other cats her age.

Olga isn’t less energetic, at least not to any measurable degree, but she goes through phases where she spends more time alone in another room. I didn’t know cats sometimes preferred to be alone until I adopted Olga. My Siamese cat rarely left my side unless he was trying to escape to explore the outdoors or annoyed by an obnoxious guest.

Olga’s Stare

It may be unfair to compare him to Olga since he was a different cat in every way, but I’ve only had two cats, and I think most pet owners evaluate their pets’ behavior based on past experiences. Olga is more stoic than my Siamese and only complains when she’s hungry. Since she doesn’t constantly meow, her blank stare makes her seem more thoughtful and relaxed.

Her unblinking gaze can hypnotize you, and I think hypnotists would have better luck if they used a close-up image of Olga’s eyes to put people asleep. It is fascinating to see how fast her eyes change under different lighting and emotional states and how it alters her appearance.

I see a spider on the ceiling. Will you catch it and drop it on the floor, so I can play with it?
I see a spider on the ceiling. Will you catch it and drop it on the floor, so I can play with it?

Windowsill Waiting

When she’s waiting impatiently on the windowsill for me to feed her in the afternoon, her pupils are tiny slivers because of the sunlight streaming into my room. It’s when she looks more like a wise old soul, and it would be the best time for an artist to sculpt a rendition.

She’s Russian, but when she’s perched on the windowsill, she favors the African wildcat of ancient Egypt. She can’t take her eyes off the birdfeeder earlier in the day, but she’s only focused on me in the late afternoon before supper.

Manipulation and Intelligence

Wisdom and intelligence are difficult to evaluate in a feline, but wildlife researchers suggest manipulation is a sign of intelligence in animals. When they studied squirrels’ foraging habits, they discovered that some pretend to hide nuts when they sense other squirrels are watching them.

Then, they dash off and hide their snack in another location. Because of their deceptive tactics, squirrels are now considered more intelligent than they once were. However, I think cats, like Olga, are more manipulative. She stares at me to motivate and irritate me, and as I’ve discussed in previous articles, she employs more drastic measures when the “hungry gaze” is ignored.

Are you ready for my close-up!
Are you ready for my close-up?

She hasn’t jumped on my back in a while but leaps into the bathtub and howls or slams the blinds against the window when I’m late (in her mind) serving dinner. When I tell her it’s time to eat, her pupils dilate, her ears flatten, and she whines.

She looks more frantic and doesn’t resemble the calm, wise cat she was a few minutes before. Olga can be manipulative to get her way, but I guess I should be happy that it’s an admirable quality associated with animal intelligence.

The post Is Your Cat an Old Soul? Olga’s Calm Nature by Christopher Bays appeared first on Catster. Copying over entire articles infringes on copyright laws. You may not be aware of it, but all of these articles were assigned, contracted and paid for, so they aren't considered public domain. However, we appreciate that you like the article and would love it if you continued sharing just the first paragraph of an article, then linking out to the rest of the piece on Catster.com.



from Catster https://ift.tt/fQEUmAD
Previous Post Next Post